An affinity diagram is a tool that is used to organize a large number of ideas, opinions, and issues and group them based on their relationships. Affinity diagrams are generally used for categorizing ideas that are generated during brainstorming sessions and can be particularly useful for analyzing complex issues.
The steps for creating an affinity diagram can include:
- Generating ideas through brainstorming.
- Displaying the ideas randomly.
- Sorting the ideas into groups.
- Creating header cards for each group to capture the essential links among the ideas in each group.
- And, drawing the affinity diagram by writing the problem statement at the top and the headers with their respective groups of ideas below the problem statement.
- An affinity diagram helps in sorting and grouping customer requirements.